Time to raise the bar and wow your audience. I have put together the best apps and tools to make great Instagram stories that stand out. Have fun making your Instagram stories much cooler. Create a visual story diary of your day in a way that no one else is doing it.
WHY INSTAGRAM STORIES MATTER
Any Snapchat users here? After Snapchat refused to be sell to Facebook for $3 billion, Instagram launched stories with blatant copying. I hear Google has since made an offer of 30 billion which was declined. I still think some of Snapchat’s features are superior in some ways to Instagram stories, I love their filters. Who doesn’t?!
It took me a while to jump on the Instagram stories bandwagon, being an avid Snapchat user.
However, with 800 million users monthly there is no denying the massive crazy potential Instagram as a platform presents. With a reported 80% increase in video viewing, it is a brilliant medium no doubt.
There are a few ways to make your stories stand out, including some top apps & tools to take your Instagram stories to the next level. With a bit of creativity, you would be surprised at what you can come up with.
250 million users watch Instagram stories daily.
That’s 250 million users in a day! If you have a personal brand, or business- that is an incredible amount of opportunity. The potential to create new connections and engage with your already established audience is huge.
It is a way to let them know you better and the love & effort that goes into making your brand or blog. Whether through behind the scenes media, selfies, videos and boomerangs.
Amongst growing features, IG stories supports direct linking to a website for verified or business accounts. A maximum of 3 hashtags per story are recommended to help increase your reach. A recent update now means you can use face filters when live streaming.
When you are using Instagram Stories you could reach :
* your followers
* the followers of your followers
* the followers of a specific hashtag or geolocation.
You can use Canva to create customisable Instagram stories, there are plenty of free templates to choose from. Change the images, or edit filters and text as you like.
TOP APPS & PHOTOGRAPHY TOOLS TO CREATE EPIC CREATIVE INSTAGRAM STORIES AND INCREASE YOUR VIEWS
- CANVA Stand in a league of your own.Use Canva to create Instagram stories templates to give your stories a polished and cohesive look. You can choose from a library of Instagram stories templates, and then customise with your images, text, & filters.
- HYPE TYPE With Hype Type you can put animated text over your Instagram stories pic or video. Choose from the different fonts of motion typography and voila! You have a jazzed up story.
- FLIPAGRAM Add your favourite music tracks to your photos and videos. Once done you can save and upload to Instagram stories.
- VIDSTITCH With Vidstitch you can stitch 2 videos together and upload as an Instagram story. A really cool tool!
- 8mm VINTAGE CAMERA This is a great little app to create live old-fashioned looking video footage. You can save the video and then upload to IG stories. Apparently the 8mm app was used by director Malik Bendjelloul in Oscar-awarded documentary “Searching for Sugar Man”.
- VIDEOSHOP Use Videoshop to edit short videos and add music.
- SPLICE This video editing app is described as one of the best. Tap to trim clips, adjust transitions, add slow motion effects, sounds, music, or your narrative.
- INSHOT A handy video editor that also allows you to post your videos and pictures to Instagram without cropping.
- LUMAFUSION A powerful video editing app that is used by journalists and film-makers to make beautiful video stories.
- AUDIOJUNGLE Find soundtracks & sound effects for your videos here.
- SNAPSEED If you are looking for an app to crop your Instagram story picture to the correct dimensions, then Snapseed is a great tool for that (amongst many other things!). Open your photo within Snapseed, go to the cropping tool, and select 16 x 9. Choose what you want in the pic, & then crop to size.
PHOTOGRAPHY TOOLS THAT JESSE DRIFTWOOD USES TO CREATE BEAUTIFUL INSTAGRAM STORIES
Jesse Driftwood is a talented film-maker and photographer who has raised the bar with his creative and amazing Instagram stories. He takes inspiration from his daily life and turns these moments into creative videos that are engaging and highly popular.
- MAGIC ARM – A useful tool to put your phone mount on for filming videos anywhere, whether it’s those creative photography shots, or timelapses.
- VLOGGING CAMERA – This is a great tiny camera with a flip out screen perfect for Instagram stories or vlogging. When filming for Instagram stories be sure to hold the camera vertically – so that when you upload your story video the frame its perfectly without any cropping.
- MICROPHONE for camera – Great for having a clear audio, & no windy noise in the background. Makes a huge difference.
Check out his Instagram account here and interview video with Peter McKinnon below. He describes how he crushes his Instagram stories with tips and techniques.
Isn’t he so talented?
What are the top apps or tools that you use for your IG stories? Share with us in the comments below, and say hello on Instagram.
Disclaimer: this post contains affiliate links which help towards running this site.